What is the Advanced Coaching Diploma Program (ACD)?
Briefly, the new curriculum will provide the ability for coaches to engage in a program with enhanced practical applications of cutting edge research. The ACD Diploma would be considered an advanced gradation across a variety of coaching contexts. The main entry for coaches is the Competition Development context, those coaches working with the Train to Train/Train to Compete athlete within the Canadian Sport for Life framework. Taking the new Competition Development modules is a requirement for entry into the diploma program if coaches are not already Level 3 accredited.
The key difference in the new diploma compared to the Level 4 tasks will be the requirement of the coach to compile evidence that demonstrates competency across NCCP outcomes and criteria. This evidence will take the form of a portfolio and will be assessed by content specialists and mentors. Elements of the portfolio, as an example, could include a collection of video such as: athlete analysis, coaching analysis, and documents such as training/competition plans and critical reflections based on relevant coaching scenarios. Various exercises and activities to compile the portfolio will be part of the course of study delivered through a combination of facilitated sessions, workshops and practical/lab sessions.
The new curriculum will consist of four thematic streams:
- Coaching Effectiveness
- Performance Planning
- Training/Competition Readiness
The ACD program is approximately 270 hours of direct contact time with experts throughout the program. These streams will provide the skills, knowledge and attitudes that will enable the coach to build his or her portfolio of required evidence. It will also allow better integration of content areas where coaches will be able to access the most up to date performance enhancement research, rather than focusing on one content area at a time.
Eligibility & Registration
Who is eligible for this program?
The Advanced Coaching Diploma (ACD) Program offered by CSIO predominantly targets coaches working with Training to Train and Training to Compete athletes, which may include:
- Canada Games and provincial head coaches
- Personal coaches of pre-carded, provincial carded, and developmental carded athletes
- Club coaches of highly ranked clubs and self-made/entrepreneurial coaches
- Post-secondary coaches (CIS, CCAA)
- NSO-identified coaches with potential to develop into coaches of high performance athletes
- National Training Centre coaches and assistant coaches
Note: General guidelines indicate that coaches that engage in this diploma program should be coaching within a year round program and typically twelve or more hours per week.
When is the application date each year?
The next cohort of the Advanced Coaching Diploma program will run from September 2017 – May 2019 with applied sessions offered in a blended learning environment (virtual, self-directed learning, in person workshops and practical sessions).
Applications are now being accepted through to the end of July 2016, however we encourage you to start the submission process as soon as possible.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I apply?
For more information and to apply please download the ACD Program Application Form. You will also be required to submit the following information:
- Endorsement letter from your National Sport Organization (and Provincial Sport Organization, if appropriate)
- Your letter of application/letter of intent indicating reason for completing the Advanced Coaching Diploma program
- Pre-portfolio package (outline of this is available through email@example.com )
- Payment of application fee of $75.00 (non-refundable)
How to submit the Application:
Mail it to:
Canadian Sport Institute Ontario
875 Morningside Ave, Suite 100
Toronto,ON M1C 0C7
If you have any questions about the Advanced Coaching Diploma program please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is there a tuition?
Yes. The tuition for the Diploma program is $875 per term and there are a total of 4 terms. The total cost is $3,500.
Top 5 reasons to pursue the Advanced Coaching Diploma
- Achieve the Pinnacle of NCCP Training ACD coaches are recognized as being among the most qualified coaches and leaders of athletes and sport programs provincially, nationally and internationally. The ACD Diploma is a two year part-time program (270 hours of class time) aimed at developing coach competency in four core themes: Coaching Leadership, Coaching Effectiveness, Performance Planning, and Training and Competition Readiness.
- Start your journey toward High Performance and National Team Coaching Not only is the ACD Diploma program the pinnacle of coach education in Canada, the qualification is also recognized by Sport Canada as a requirement for National Sport Organization National Team Programs. The ACD diploma is also a required designation in becoming a Chartered Professional Coach (ChPC) through the Coaches of Canada.
- Develop your own Integrated Coaching Support Team Diploma coaches work with mentor coaches as part of their ACD Diploma Program. These mentors as well as over 20 sport science specialists provide the coach with their own integrated support team. Many coaches have used the facilitators and specialists to help support their club, provincial or national team programs.
- Learn from different coaches in a variety of sports The greatest value of the ACD Diploma Program as indicated by our graduates, is the ability for coaches to interact with other coaches from a wide variety of sports. Cross-sport integration is a key component of the ACD programming which allows coaches to exchange problems, challenges and successes with other like-minded coaches.
- Receive Financial Support The Canadian Sport Institute values coaches’ attainment of NCCP qualifications and therefore may also provide financial support to eligible coaches. Financial support may be available in a variety of formats including tuition scholarships, travel bursaries and professional development grants. Provincial grants and funding support opportunities vary across the country.