Canadian Sport Institute Ontario (CSIO) would like to congratulate the 64 athletes, 11 coaches and countless support staff from Ontario, as well as the entire Canadian Olympic Team, for an outstanding performance at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi. The Canadian Olympic Team delivered powerful performances, captivating and inspiring the nation.
The Games saw 35 of Ontario’s athletes reach the podium, contributing to 8 (5 Gold, 3 Silver) of the 25 (10 Gold, 10 Silver, 5 Bronze) medals won by Team Canada. Ontario figure skater Patrick Chan and ice dance pair Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir were double medallists at the Games, both as part of Canada’s Silver Medal winning figure skating team and winning Silver individually.
“It was a great Olympic Games for Ontario and Canada. CSIO is extremely proud of our Ontario athletes, their performances and their success on the podium,” said Debbie Low, CEO of Canadian Sport Institute Ontario. “Congratulations to all of the athletes and coaches on a job well done, you have represented Canada with pride and your performances have inspired the next generation of high performance athletes.”
Ontario’s Olympic Medallists:
- Dara Howell (Huntsville, ON) won the Gold Medal in Women’s Ski Slopestyle
- Team Jacobs, comprised of Brad Jacobs, Ryan Fry, E.J. Harnden and Ryan Harnden (all of Sault Ste. Marie, ON) and alternate Caleb Flaxey (Caledon, ON) won the Gold Medal in Men’s Curling
- Kristen Wall (Milton, ON) won Gold as one of the five athletes on Team Canada’s Women’s Curling Team
- Eleven of the 21 athletes on the Women’s Ice Hockey Team who won Gold, including: Meghan Agosta-Marciano (Ruthven, ON), Rebecca Johnston (Sudbury, ON), Laura Fortino (Hamilton, ON), Jennifer Wakefield (Pickering, ON), Gillian Apps (Unionville, ON), Jayna Hefford (Kingston, ON), Genevieve Lacasse (Kingston, ON), Brianne Jenner (Oakville, ON), Haley Irwin (Thunder Bay, ON), Natalie Spooner (Scarborough, ON) and Tara Watchorn (Newcastle, ON)
- Ten of the 25 athletes on the Men’s Ice Hockey Team who won Gold, including: Mike Smith (Kingston, ON), Drew Doughty (London, ON), Alex Pietrangelo (King City, ON), P.K. Subban (Toronto, ON), Matt Duchene (Haliburton, ON), John Tavares (Oakville, ON), Corey Perry (Peterborough, ON), Rick Nash (Brampton, ON), Patrick Sharp (Thunder Bay, ON) and Jeff Carter (London, ON)
- Patrick Chan (Toronto, ON) won the Silver Medal in Men’s Figure Skating
- Tessa Virtue (London, ON) and Scott Moir (Ilderton, ON) won the Silver Medal for Ice Dance
- Chan, Virtue, and Moir along with fellow figure skaters Meagan Duhamel (Lively, ON), Eric Radford (Balmertown, ON), Dylan Moscovitch (Toronto, ON) and Kirsten Moore-Towers (St. Catharines, ON) won Silver in the new Figure Skating Team Event