Milos Raonic loses at Monte Carlos Masters to Jarkko Nieminen

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

MONTE CARLO–Milos Raonic’s hopes for early success on the clay court start stalled with a 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (7-3) loss to Jarkko Nieminen on Wednesday in the second round of the Monte Carlo Masters.

Raonic, the 12th seed from Thronhill, Ont., had been bidding to duplicate the career-best third-round showing at the Monte Carlo Country Club he achieved in 2011.

“It was a tight match, I’m quite disappointed with his loss,” Raonic said. “I had a lot more opportunities and I didn’t take advantage of them or make the most of them today.

“I like the way I was playing in the second set, I was a lot more aggressive and that’s what I needed against a guy like him. But in the third I missed on a few key shots and that really made the difference. It all came down to a few critical errors.”

Nieminen, a match-tough campaigner ranked 49th, took full advantage of 40 unforced errors from Raonic to advance.

Raonic, a major part of Canada’s win over Italy in the Davis Cup world group quarter-finals, had been expecting a tough match against Nieminen, almost a decade his senior.

Raonic now stands 14-5 on the season with a title in San Jose two months ago. After his doubles with Australian Bernard Tomic is done, he heads off to his training base of Barcelona for next week’s clay event.

“I have some work to do on clay, getting more used to the surface again,” Raonic said. “I need more matches and more practice, I need to work on improving for next week.”

It was the second meeting between the two, Nieminen beat Raonic indoors last September in Bangkok, a match which the Raonic had said he was hoping to improve upon.

Raonic lost serve in the sixth game of the first set as Nieminen eventually took the early lead after a 42-minute opening chapter. But Raonic stormed back in the second with his only two breaks of the match, to level at one set apiece.

The third went into a tiebreaker,where Nieminen used his years of clay experience to grab a 4-2 lead and put the pressure on Raonic.

Raonic, ranked 15th in the world, then sent an overhead shot wide to trail 2-5. Nieminen quickly nailed down four match points, but sent backhand into the net on the first. He came good on is second to end the win in just under two hours as Raonic sent a backhand cross-court return wide.

The Canadian Press

News Category: 

Latest News

  • 4x200m Gold
    April 25, 2017
    The 4x200-metre relay quartet of Gavin Smellie (Brampton, Ont.), Brendon Rodney (Brampton, Ont.), Andre De Grasse (Markham, Ont.) and Aaron Brown (Toronto) crossed the line first in a time of 1:19.42. The 4x200-metres gold is the first medal won by...
  • Tricia Smith
    April 24, 2017
    Canada’s sport community has renewed its confidence in Tricia Smith as President of the C anadian Olympic Committee ( COC ). Members of the COC Session, comprised of sport leaders, athletes and coaches, voted unanimously to give Ms. Smith a second...
  • April 20, 2017
    Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame revealed the six Athletes, one Team, and two sport “Builders” who will make up the Class of 2017. Induction into Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame is considered the country’s highest sporting honour and reinforces the...
  • April 18, 2017
    Canada finished sixth in the Women’s Team Pursuit on Thursday at the UCI Track Cycling World Championships in Hong Kong. It was a disappointing result for the squad that has finished in the medals at the world championships every year since 2012,...
  • April 13, 2017
    The Ontario Sports Hall of Fame is proud to recognize Penny Oleksiak as the 2016 Syl Apps Ontario Athlete of the Year. Penny Oleksiak had a record-setting Olympic debut at Rio 2016 when she became the first Canadian athlete to win four medals at a...