This month The Locker Room welcomes Judo Coach Pedro Guedes.
A former member of the Brazilian National Judo Team, Pedro competed internationally for many years winning numerous medals including silver at the Pan American Championships, silver at the World Championships (by team), bronze at the Grand Slam Jigoro Kano Cup, and gold at the Pan American Championships (by team).
After retiring in 2008 as a competitor, Pedro set his sights on coaching and worked as a Judo Coach in Slovenia prior to coming to Canada. In 2012, Pedro was named Judo Ontario’s Technical Coach and Director.
Always eager to learn and improve his skill set, Pedro is in his second year of the Advanced Coaching Diploma Program at CSIO.
Find out more about Pedro in the The Locker Room:
Name: Pedro Guedes
Team/Club: Judo Ontario/Judo Canada
Languages: English, French, Portuguese, and Slovenian
1. How did you get started in your sport?
I was part of a social program for kids. In Brazil, while my parents were working I went to judo after school.
2. Who has had the biggest impact on your career in sport?
3. How long have you been coaching?
I have been coaching for 6 years.
4. What is your favourite exercise/drill/activity to have athletes do?
5. Do you have any superstitions?
No, I do not.
6. Do you have any hidden talents?
7. What was the last book you read?
War and Peace
8. What is the last movie you saw?
9. What is your favourite competition city?
10. What was the last picture you took on your phone?
Judo Ontario’s new training centre at the Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre.