This month The Locker Room welcomes Synchro Swim Coach Manny Wu.
Manny is a former synchronized swimmer, having swam on the Chinese National Team where she competed at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, placing 6th. After retiring as an athlete, Manny turned her attention to coaching. Since moving to Canada, Manny has become a fully certified Level 3 NCCP Coach, and has coached her club teams to provincial and national titles.
In 2011 and 2012 Manny was named Synchro Ontario FINA Coach of the Year, and was recently named the Assistant Coach for Team Ontario at the 2015 Canada Winter Games taking place in February.
Manny is currently in her 1st year of CSIO’s Advanced Coaching Diploma program.
Learn more about Manny in The Locker Room:
Name: Manny Wu
Sport: Synchronized Swimming
Team/Club: Team Ontario
1. How did you get started in your sport?
I was picked by my coach at school.
2. Who has had the biggest impact on your career in sport?
My coaches that have coached me since the age of 7 have had the biggest impact on my career.
3. How long have you been coaching?
6 years in Canada.
4. What is your favourite exercise/drill/activity to have athletes do?
I can’t pick one - I have so many!
5. Do you have any superstitions?
6. Do you have any hidden talents?
I don’t know…
7. What was the last book you read?
My boys’ story book.
8. What is your favourite competition city?
9. What is your most embarrassing moment in sport?
When I coach and my head coach corrects me in front of the swimmers!
10. What was the last picture you took on your phone?
11. Who would play you in the movie of your life?
I don’t know, but my family would be in it!