This month The Locker Room welcomes Sprint Kayaker, KC Fraser.
KC is coming off an incredible summer that saw her and her teammates Michelle Russell, Emilie Fournel and Hannah Vaughan win Canada’s first gold medal at the 2015 Pan Am Games in the K-4 500m event.
Over her career, KC has won many medals both nationally and internationally competing in Sprint Kayak. KC won her first World Cup medal, a bronze in the K-2 200m with Genevieve Orton in 2011. She followed up later that year with a gold at the 2011 Pan American Games, where she was a member of the K-4 500m gold medal crew. At the 2013 World Championships, KC was part of a crew who finished in sixth place in the K-4 500m, a Canadian best in that event in a decade.
KC is now turning her attention to training and qualifying for Rio 2016.
Learn more about KC in The Locker Room.
Name: Kathleen (KC) Fraser
Sport: Sprint kayak
Where do you live/train now: Toronto
Team/Club: Balmy Beach Canoe Club
1. How did you get started in your sport?
My mother put me in the summer program to keep me out of trouble.
2. Who has had the biggest impact on your career in sport?
My Familly! They have been with me since the beginning.
3. What is your favourite pre-competition meal?
4. Do you have any superstitions?
Always run my hands across the water before the start on my race. Not sure why I do it, but I just do.
5. What is your favourite ‘cheat’ meal?
6. Do you have any hidden talents?
I know how to steer a dogsled!
7. What was the last book you read?
The Tiger by: John Vaillant
8. What is your favourite competition city?
9. What is your most embarrassing moment in sport?
I have too many to count. But if I had to choose one it would be when I tipped right at the dock in front of my whole club before practice.
10. What exercise do you dread the most?
2km time control on the kayak machine because you’re in one spot for way too long.
11. What was the last picture you took on your phone?
Picture of my dogs swimming.
12. Who would play you in the movie of your life?