This month The Locker Room welcomes Sprint Canoe athlete Katie Vincent.
A member of CanoeKayak Canada’s Junior National Development Team, Katie has also been a part of CSIO’s Ontario High Performance Sport Initiative (OHPSI) through CanoeKayak Ontario and the Ontario CanoeKayak Sprint Racing Affiliation since 2012.
Katie is the reigning World Junior Champion winning the Junior Women’s C1 200 title this past July at the 2014 ICF Canoe Sprint Junior and Under 23 World Championships in Szeged, Hungary.
Learn more about Katie and her quest for the podium in The Locker Room:
Name: Katie Vincent
Sport: Sprint Canoe
Where do you live/train now: Halifax
Twitter Handle: @kvincent96
1. How did you get started in your sport?
Family and friends.
2. Who has had the biggest impact on your career in sport?
My coach Kyle Jeffery.
3. What is your favourite pre-competition meal?
4. Do you have any superstitions?
My paddle has to always be taped a certain way so I know where to place my hands and when.
5. What is your favourite ‘cheat’ meal?
6. Do you have any hidden talents?
7. What was the last book you read?
The Hunger Games
8. What is your favourite competition city?
Szeged, Hungary or Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
9. What is your most embarrassing moment in sport?
Dropping my waterproof camera in the canal in Florida, after trying to take a picture of a cool bird on a dock, and Adam van Koeverden witnessing my mini freak-out as I dived into the water to get… and I didn’t even get the photo…
10. What exercise do you dread the most?
11. What was the last picture you took on your phone?
The lake I’m training on at Maskwa.
12. Who would play you in the movie of your life?
A person who never gives up on their dream.