Check your cupboards — the Canadian Food Inspection Agency has issued recall warnings for several popular snack products due to possible Listeria contamination.
No illnesses linked to the consumption of these products have been reported.
The Canada-wide recall, issued Thursday, affects:
Quaker brand quinoa granola bars.
Spitz brand sunflower kernels.
CLIF Bar brand Sierra Trail Mix energy bars.
Quaker Canada recalls
The granola bar recall was first issued by Quaker Canada on May 16, but at that time was only believed to affect products sold in Ontario.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is advising people to throw out the recalled products. (Canadian Food Inspection Agency)
Quaker Harvest Quinoa Granola Bars in both Chocolate Nut Medley, and Yogurt, Fruit & Nut flavours were recalled. The company said the products contain sunflower kernels that may have been contaminated with Listeria, bacteria that cause listeriosis, a serious infection usually caused by eating contaminated food.
Quaker Canada also issued a recall for Spitz Sunflower Kernels in both salted flavour and dill pickle flavour.
The products in the recall have various best-before dates and product codes. CFIA advises consumers with any of the products to throw them away or return the products to the store where they were purchased.
CLIF Bar recall
CLIF Bar brand Sierra Trail Mix Energy Bars were recalled due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. (Canadian Food Inspection Agency)
The Sierra Trail Mix Energy Bars recall by CLIF Bar & Company is also linked to sunflower products.
On its website, the company says its ingredient supplier, SunOpta, was found to have distributed sunflower kernels that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Products in the recall carry best-buy dates of 2016JN06 up to 2017FE23.
Symptoms of Listeria monocytogenes can include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscles aches, severe headaches or neck stiffness.
High-risk groups like pregnant women, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems should seek medical attention if they think they may be infected.
Story and Photo from CBC News | CBC.ca